Friday, June 29, 2012

JP's Surgery #1

JP had Surgery on the extra digits on his right hand, and both feet on June 26.  All went really well and he is recovering amazingly!  I always knew that kids are resielient, but I never expected to have such a happy boy after going through such a big surgery!!  JP has done such a fantastic job living with his 3 casts for 6 weeks.  He figured out pretty quickly how to get around with them on.  I wanted to document  some before, during and after shots of him and his surgeries.  

Here are what his hand and feet looked like before the surgery:
I do have some pictures from during the surgery, but I wont post them and gross you out.  These are the shots that the doctor took after the surgery, before the casts.:


We are so amazed at what our doctors were able to do!  His feet will now fit into shoes.  His right hand now only has 4 fingers and a thumb.  Well, actually, 5 fingers.  they removed his two non functioning thumbs and repositioned the extra finger into the thumb position.  He should still have pretty good functionality with this new thumb. 
JP was such a calm and relaxed patient.  All of the doctors and nursing staff commented on what a mellow little guy he was.  He really was so great through the whole process.
Checking in at 5:00am.  
All dressed and ready for surgery.
Got to play with some fun toys while doctors checked him out.
Hanging out with Dad after surgery.
Milk...it does a body good
It only took JP about a week to learn to walk on and then run on the casts.  He was hardly slowed down at all!!
Playing B-ball with JR
.
Just being silly

Patiently playing on the sand while JR got to put his feet in the lake

No comments: